Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Pork Chop Dilemma

I never really know what to do with pork chops.  You have to be really careful or they will end up really dry and unappetizing.  I prefer to brown them first and then cook them in liquid, or, I like to put them in the crock pot so they remain moist.

Last night, I took the easy way out and just browned and baked them.  Here's the recipe (I made it up as I went along):

Olive oil
5-6 bone in pork chops
Soul Seasoning
1/2 cup white wine
1 small onion
1 package brown gravy mix
1 package onion gravy mix
2 cups water

Sprinkle chops liberally with Soul Seasoning.  Brown in olive oil.  Place browned chops in a 9x13 baking dish.  Drain excess oil/grease but make sure to leave enough to saute the onion.  Slice onion and saute in hot pan making sure to scrape brown bits from bottom of pan.  When onions are soft, add white wine, gravy mix and water.  Use whisk to stir until thickened (the mixture should come to a boil).  Pour over chops and cover tightly with aluminum foil.  Bake at 325 for 1 hour.

I served this with steamed broccoli that I tossed with olive oil and Parmesan cheese and some white rice.  I marinated the tomatoes in balsamic vinegar, olive oil and dried basil (I didn't have any fresh).


The good news is that the kids ate pretty well and the pork chops were tender.  Still, this recipe did not excite me.  I'm looking for something new and different.  I will be experimenting with pork chops more in the coming weeks.  Winn Dixie has had them on sale a lot lately...the buy one get one free sale!   Stay tuned for more on pork chops!


Now you see them....

Now you don't!


No comments:

Post a Comment